Monday, February 1, 2010

2/1/10

Welcome to February my friends. New month, new reviews. I hope everyone has been enjoying the winter thus far. I know I have. Here are the hot picks for the week. Our movie pick this week, is going to be a TV show, instead of a movie...but more on that in a little bit. Enjoy!

Music:
Gucci Mane feat. Usher --- Spotlight


As far as music goes, I'm a sucker for a smooth voiced R&B/Hip Hop artist who can sing a catchy hook. That's why I love songs by people like Ne-Yo, Maino, Akon, Jason Derulo, Jay Sean, etc. Usher is one of those guys who's been doing this for years and probably even inspired some of the aforementioned artists when they were beginning to burst onto their careers. On the other hand, Gucci Mane is one of those guys who I thought would have one hit single and disappear from the radio. But here we are a year or so later, and you almost can't listen to the radio without hearing Gucci on some song. He's like the new Lil Wayne/Young Money 'cause he's featured on so many songs. So anyway...I love this song. Like I said, it's got the flow of Gucci in the rap verses with Usher's smooth voice lending the extremely catchy hook. 4/5 Stars.

Movies (TV Shows):
LOST


OK...so for those of you who don't know. I am a LOST Fanatic. I have no hesitation in saying that it is my favorite tv show. Every week, I watch the episodes with my other close friends who are fanatics and we discuss the episode the following day in email threads. I even read forums dedicated to the discussion of things hidden deep in the show that only fanatics who care enough to investigate may have found. So all this is great, but you're probably wondering what this has to do with our movie review this week. WELL, the answer to that...is that tomorrow, the season premier of the FINAL season of Lost airs. It's a 2 hour episode (kinda like a movie) with an additional 1 hour recap episode prior to it. So...if you've watched Lost at all in the past, this is the time to get back on the horse as we reach the end of a milestone era in American television. And if you haven't watched Lost, well all I can say is you've missed out. Go buy the dvds or borrow them from a friend. Or stream the show online at www.sidereel.com/Lost. I guarantee you will be hooked as soon as you start watching season 1. 6/5 Stars. That's right...I've never given an above perfect rating to any review....until now. Stay excited, my fellow LOSTIES!

Restaurants:
Maple Ave Restaurant


Last summer (prior to the first new posting of this review), I mentioned via AIM about Maple Ave in Vienna, VA. This restaurant, owned by two friends of mine, is a trendy new restaurant that features an Asian chef with French culinary training and a menu that blends Contemporary American dishes with a modern twist. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. Their menu is constantly changing with new specials and everything I've ever tried has been delicious. Last week, I was treated to a dinner here by my two close friends and I tried their Chicken And Waffles special entree. It was amazing. Add to that, the fact that there really aren't many Chicken and Waffle places in the DC area, and this experience really amazed me. I personally go to this restaurant whenever I have a good reason to do so, so I highly recommend you try it as well. The restaurant is not huge, in terms of dining space, so making a reservation online or via phone is highly recommended. 4.5/5 Stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gucci Mane? Nooooooooooo