Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2/17/10

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone! Chuc mung nam moi to all my Vietnamese followers out there! Happy new year indeed. It's been a couple weeks of snow for me, so I've not been out in quite some time. Nonetheless, the review must go on...and so here we go. Enjoy!

Music:
Gorilla Zoe - What is Love


I have mixed feelings about this song. On the one hand, I'm loving the new trend of hip hop artists going outside their comfort zone of a deep bass and a snare to utilize things such as electronic music. On the other hand, I was neither a big fan of Gorilla Zoe prior to this song, nor was I a huge fan of What is Love (aka the night at the Roxbury theme). So when these two decided to make love and create this unbelievable song, I'm honestly at a loss for words. I give GZ a two thumbs up for effort, and I give Haddaway two thumbs up for capitalizing on their one hit wonder for royalties before it becomes public domain. However, I give a -2 thumbs down for Autotuner, and a one thumb sideways for the mashup. Final verdict? 2.5/5 Stars.

Movies:
Notorious


With the recent snowmageddon that has hit the DC metro area, I have not had a chance to see any new movies. I did however get to watch movies On Demand on HBO. And one of those movies was one I saw when it was fresh in the theatres. And that film is Notorious. The film, which depicts the tragic life of the rapper Notorious B.I.G. is not only a good film about one of my favorite artists of all time, but a GREAT film in general. I highly recommend those who have not seen this movie to hit up your blockbuster or netflix or On Demand and check it out. 4/5 Stars.

Restaurants:
Vapiano


Up until recently, I had never ever eaten at Vapiano's despite driving by it countless times. In the DC area, the restaurant features two locations. One in Ballston, near the mall and the other inside the Dulles Town Centre mall. And let me tell you, this restaurant was amazing. So the concept is that you enter the restaurant and the hostess gives you a card. You, in turn, go to the chef behind the counter (Mongolian style) and order one of countless delicious gourmet pastas or pizzas customizing everything from the noodles to the sauce, and even adding your favorite protein if you want. The chef cooks it fresh in front of you and delivers a healthy portion of food to you in a gourmet bowl. Simply scan the card that was given to you at the counter where you ordered and you're good to go. If you feel the need for soda or dessert, go right ahead just scan your card again. At the end of your meal, take your card to the hostess on your way out and she rings you up for whatever you purchased. Happy Hours are off the chain here too. 4/5 Stars

No comments: