Thursday, February 25, 2010

2/25/10

Waddup Peeps! As you can clearly tell, I'm already straying from my regular weekly postings on Mondays. At least I'm able to more or less keep up though, and not just forget about this review altogether. Anywhoo, it's been a good week for reviews. So here you go, enjoy:

Music:
Jason Derulo - In My Head


Earlier in this blog, I mentioned an up and coming artist named Jason Derulo. The closest comparison I can make about his music is that he's a Chris Brown clone as far as singing goes, but he has the luxury of having very good producers who either sample great beats, or come up with catchy new ones. In any case, you've probably heard his song "Watcha Say" on the radio quite a bit...it's the one that samples the song that played on the OC when Marissa shot Ryan's brother Trey (and no...I'm not gay...I don't actually watch the show...I just know about this scene because SNL spoofed it in their "Dear Sister" digital short). In any case, In My Head is the new single from JD, and it's beginning to get airplay now on the pop radio stations. The song itself is catchier than Watcha Say and the video ain't half bad either considering it's supposed to be an homage to Michael Jackson. 3.5/5 Stars

Movies:
District 9


At this point, you must realize I'm a slacker at the movies. I just don't go out to see a movie in the theatres as often as I'd like anymore since they cost about $23495238734978545 a ticket. So when I do catch a popular movie nowadays, it's either a blockbuster everyone's been waiting forever to see...or I catch it on tv or on demand. That brings us to numero nueve. District 9 was far better than I expected. I thought it was going to be another failed attempt at human killing alien invasion action, which hasn't really succeeded in movies since Will Smith stopped making annual summer blockbusters about that very theme. Yet, D9 was a great return. It featured a good story, good action, and good effects. Am I psyched about a sequel...probably not...but at least the original was pretty good. 4/5 Stars

Restaurants:
Yamazato


Located in "Alexandria" across from the GrandMart on Route 236 (Little River Turnpike just before it turns into Duke Street at Landmark Mall), this restaurant might be my new favorite find. The restaurant labels itself as a Thai restaurant, and when it comes to that cuisine, it is exactly that. The Panang curry is full of taste, spice, and consistency. The Tofu is delectable, plump, and well cooked. The Drunken Noodles are hot and spicy. And the coup de grace is a special dessert they offer called Tempura Ice Cream. Yes, fried ice cream. The restaurant succeeds in all things Thai. As if that wasn't enough, the restaurant also boasts a diverse selection of sushi. I didn't get a chance to taste it myself, but looking at the cuts of fish and the sushi chefs preparing it, I could tell it was quality fish. On top of that, my guide to my first trip to Yamazato said she had eaten the sushi there before and that it was good. Soooo....looking for a new restaurant? Maybe something intimate for a date? Or just looking for another great place to food your face...welcome to Yamazato. 4/5 Stars

No comments: