Thursday, April 1, 2010

4/1/10

Happy April Fool's Day buddies!!! Real holiday or not, April Fool's Day is one of my favorite days of the year. It's the one day a year where you can prank your friends and family and fear no serious retribution other than even more creative pranks in return. That being said, here's this week's reviews. They are all legitimate...no pranks on my end. Enjoy!!!

Music:
UC Men's Octet - Down/Forever


Allright, so today's music selection is weird. For those of you who know me, you know that I love acapella music. And no, I don't mean taking a pop song and dropping the music and just having the singer sing alone. I mean the acapella in which you have a group of singers who sing a popular song completely with their vocals, including creating the beatbox/drum noises. It's very popular in colleges. In any case, as far as college acapella goes, my new fave group is the UC Men's Octet. This group of 8 guys is hilarious in their performances and they perform lots of current songs. Take a look below and if you're impressed, youtube UC Men's Octet for more of their great performances. 4/5 Stars



Movies:
Inkheart


OK, so I doubt many of you have ever heard of this movie...because I had never heard of this movie. I was scrolling through the channels on tv last weekend, and I saw that HBO was about to air this movie. I read the info on the movie and found out that it's based on a book about this man who realizes he has the power that causes any book he reads aloud to come to life. Inkheart happens to be a fantasy novel that he has read in the past, and stumbles across a copy of it again in the present. Long story short, characters from the book appear and request his help (along with his daughter) and the fantasy tale begins. Sounds great! So I started watching, and for the most part, I didn't think the movie was bad. It was a little cheesy, and definitely would've been better suited for a kid to watch. And Brendan Fraser (the main character) didn't help, because let's be honest, most of his movies are pretty cheesy. But overall, I thought it wasn't bad. In any case, if you haven't seen a movie in a while and are looking to make your evening a "Blockbuster Night" (even though that term is basically outdated now), go ahead and give this movie a whirl. 2.5/5 Stars

Restaurants:
Lazeeza Kabob


Located in Vienna, a stone's throw away from Merrifield, this kabob restaurant has recently reopened as a kabob buffet. Don't let the restaurant's humble hole in the wall facade fool you. Yes, there's usually one staffer working the entire restaurant. Yes, there's usually maybe one or two other patrons in the restaurant. And yes, the buffet only features maybe 6 items. But it's a great success. Your meal will cost about $8-9. The bismati rice is cooked well, the butter chicken is probably the best I've ever had, and the ground beef dish is delicious as well. Add the fresh warm naan bread and you got yourselves a hit. While the buffet is exactly a kabob buffet, I still like it. Definitely worth a look if you're into Indian/Middle Eastern cuisine. 3.5/5 Stars

No comments: