Tuesday, November 9, 2010

11/9/10

Waddup buddies,

Gonna keep it short this week. Here's the hot jams for this week. Note that the movie is a negative review...not a recommendation this time. Enjoy!!!

Music
Far East Movement --- I Party


First off, I have to admit, I love FEM. As cheesy and ricey as their name might be, and despite the fact that they look like an all Asian Kanye West tribute band, these guys put out quality club jams. In general, I try to support my fellow Asian artists whenever someone makes it mainstream, but in most cases, it's simply because I want to see more Asians in the media for positive things....and not necessarily because they're awesome. But Far East Movement, is indeed awesome. You've no doubt caught yourself dancing or jamming along to their hit single "Like a G6" and then vehemently denied to your friends that you secretly love the song. I think their new single "I Party" is even better. First of all, it samples one of my favorite electronic tracks of all time "It's a fine day". Add to that, their hip twist on the grooves within the track as well as their lyrics and you got another club banger. Then there's the music video itself, which is one of the coolest videos I've seen in a long time. Check it out on youtube if you haven't already. 5/5 Stars

Movies
Paranormal Activity 2


So last year, I went to see Paranormal Activity. It was a ground-breaking new horror film with lots of pre-debut hype as being the scariest movie of all time. I went with some friends, with little to no expectations of the film, and what I got in return was nearly a week of restless uncomfortable sleep as a result. So when this year's sequel was announced, I couldn't wait to see what was in store for me. Some people think it's sadistic but for me, there's a good deal of entertainment in stimulating one of the most natural emotions a human can experience. Granted, not being able to sleep properly probably was a negative side effect of watching the original movie, but I have to applaud any production that's able to scare me in that manner. So I was hoping, that this year's sequel would leave me at least equally petrified of what may occur after hours within my relatively quiet house. Unfortunately, this year's sequel fell flat. Knowing that most of its audience had seen the first film, I felt the movie tried to do too much in this new film and forgot what it was about the original film that had every scared. Mainly, that everything happened mysteriously and that we never saw any true horror or demonic attacks until the very end of the movie. The sequel, and I'll try not to give anything away here, gives away too much too early in this film...and in the moments where it did try to keep us in suspense, it only bored us instead. I was really hoping for better, but I suppose that was a poor expectation. I hope to rectify this mistake this week by watching the film Due Date, which I was debating watching last weekend when I decided to watch PA2 instead, because I've heard Due Date was very good. 2/5 Stars for Paranormal Activity 2.

Restaurants
East Moon Asian Bistro


Located in the Kingstowne shopping center between Bonefish Grill and the movie theater, this restaurant opened up earlier this year. I had long meant to go try it out, but didn't get a chance to until this past weekend when I saw the aforementioned movie. All I can say about the restaurant is WOW. It's extremely classy and modern in decor. Huge dining area with tons of wait/bust/cooking staff. The wait was only about 15-20 minutes for a table. All of the food I tried was amazing. The restaurant boasts Indonesian, Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese (both hot plates and sushi) cuisine. I tried the Sriracha Chicken entree which was both spicy and flavorful. I also tried one of the specialty sushi rolls, The Kingstowne Roll, and it was delicious. My cousin had the sesame tofu, which was sweet and amazing. For dessert, we split the molten chocolate cake which was also fantastic. All in all, the restaurant succeeded on all cylinders and I can't wait to go back and try some more of their menu items. 5/5 Stars.

No comments: