Monday, December 28, 2009

12/28/09

Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a great Xmas holiday (whether you celebrate it or not). Short and sweet this week, here's the hot joints:


Music:
Ke$ha - Tik Tok


Ok so first off, this song isn't really new, you've probably already heard it on the radio. But you probably just never knew what it was. Now you do. Ke$ha (yes I realize she spells her name with a dollar sign instead of an S), sort of sounds like Amanda Blank (another artist I've chosen before as the music pick of the week). Her song Tik Tok even has that "in your face, hip-hoppish Fergie sound" that Amanda Blank has. I still prefer AB over Kesha and Fergie, but if you're looking for a change of pace from typical hip hop/pop, this is worth checking out. 3.5/5 Stars.

Movies:
Avatar


I'm sure I'm the last person to tell you about this movie, but I actually did watch it during the first week it was out, I just hadn't posted a review of it until just now. I saw the movie in 3D, which I was advised to do. On the whole, I thought the movie was really good. It didn't quite blow my mind as I had expected with such a big hype going into it, but it was definitely a good movie. Yes, it's long. Yes, it's predictable. But yet, somehow it still gives you a good sense of fulfillment. A definite must-see during this holiday season, as it's the best film I've seen since Thanksgiving. 4.5/5 Stars.

Restaurant:
Kyoto


90% of the time, my restaurant critique is centered on the DC Metropolitan Area. Occasionally (especially back when I was a student), I rated a restaurant near Virginia Tech. This week, I'm rating a restaurant at JMU. Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of eating at Kyoto. Like other Japanese Steakhouses, the restaurant uses a hibachi grill and skilled chef to prepare traditional dishes such as filet mignon, shrimp, scallops, chicken and lobster with fried rice and veggies. As far as Japanese steakhouses go, this is probably the best one I've ever eaten at in terms of quality. The chef that served us, I believe was their head chef, because he was dressed differently from all the other chefs and because we had the largest group reservation of the night. If that's the case, he definitely showed why he was the top dog with his juggling and cooking utensil skills. While the dinner was pricy, I highly recommend anyone who's a fan of hibachi cooking to try this place out next time you're in the Harrisonburg area. 3.5/5 Stars.

No comments: