Thursday, April 10, 2008

DC Sports

I consider myself a sports fan. I follow most of the major sports relatively well enough to know the general status of most teams. Being that I've spent entire life in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia), obviously I got love for DC teams. Last year, Boston/New England had a great year in sports...and this year I'm hoping it could be DC.

The Capitals just won the Southeastern conference championship...propelling them into the playoffs. I don't know much about hockey, and I couldn't name 5 players on the Caps if my life depended on it...but I can't remember the last time the Caps did something good, so this is exciting. What I do know...is Mr. Ocho himself, Alex Ovechkin, is a beast.

The Wizards are in the playoffs too. I've been a DC basketball fan since the days of the Bullets. I still wish they had never changed their name, but that's another story completely. I've been to a lot of games this season and it's been exciting to actually see my team winning. Gilbert Arenas is back from injury, as is Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, and Deshawn Stevenson. Even Brendan Haywood, the goat of the team, whom I joke on all the time...is have a career season. He's even making free throws. Now the team is in the race for home court advantage. *fingers crossed*

DC United has just started a new season. With a practically new roster that includes new goalkeeper Zach Wells, midfielder Marcelo Gallardo (who is replacing former league MVP Christian Gomez who was traded), and a package of new young defenders and attackers; this season is like watching a brand new team. I'm optimistic that this is the year we make the playoffs and actually succeeed there instead of choking like we usually do. I'm excited cuz this season is the first season I'm watching the DC United as a member of the Barra Brava. These guys are the crazy DC United fan club that waves the flags, and throws the smoke bombs at the home games. It's a completely new and awesome experience watching a game with these guys. For $30, you can join this awesome club, get a free jersey, and get premium discounted seats to any game you wanna go to. http://www.barra-brava.com. Vamos United!

The Nationals. I pretty much know almost nothing about baseball. I don't follow it at all, I don't play it at all (except for one season of t-ball when I was like 8), and I don't talk much about it at all. Quite honestly, I find baseball extremely boring and if it wasn't for the fact that there's a new stadium this year, I probably wouldn't give the Nats another look. Baseball has just never appealed to me very much. Most of the game, the players are motionless. I've never seen any other sport where so many players look almost overweight...chewing tobacco while they play. But, all baseball hating aside, it looks like an exciting season for DC's team. The new stadium is causing a lot of excitement in the city. Since I know nothing about the team or its players, I don't know what their chances are of winning this season, but here's hoping they succeed.

And finally, the redskins. The season is still months away but I'm looking forward to a new season. The loss of Joe Gibbs is still a bit painful, but the players and organization seem optimistic that new head coach Jim Zorn has the abilities necessary to bring this team back to the postseason. Additionally, with the big NFL draft coming up later this month, I'm hoping the skins make good use of their picks and make some smart moves. Signing free agent Jerome Mathis is one step the skins have taken. We'll see if that step turns out to be in the right direction next year. Hail to the redskins! **side note. Congratulations to the Redskins Cheerleaders for being chosen as the hottest cheerleaders in the NFL**

No comments: